Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Limoncello

When I was in Italy a few years ago on a study aboard trip, I was introduced to an Italian drink called limoncello. At the time I was only 19 or so and had never tasted any kind of liquor before. It was very strong! And very lemony! But I remember liking it. Someone recently posted a recipe for this lemony libation on Taste Spotting, so I've decided to try making it myself. I did a little perusing of the world wide web and came up with a mixture of a many different recipes. The pictures above is after just one night of the lemon infusion. (I just realized that the bench I am sitting on is a home for many carpenter bees! They aren't too happy with my sitting on there home.) That picture was taken with my handy phone. The whole film thing is rather hard to manage when you have to wait to post them after you get them developed and by then you forgot all that you were going to say about whatever it was you were doing so I took some with my phone and film. The latter will come later.

Here is the recipe I used.

Limoncello

  • 750 ml bottle of mid grade vodka
  • 8 Organic lemons - peeled, pith scrapped off
  • 2 Mason jars

That is all I have done so far. I have to work out the sweetening part after the vodka and lemons are well acquainted, in like 4 or 5 days.

Till then!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That looks strong. You were only nineteen when you went to Italy? HolycowthatwaslongeragothanIthought. o.o

    ReplyDelete