Thursday, January 5, 2012

The New Menu

I work at a restaurant in Athens, Ga. It is called The Last Resort Grille (LRG for short). A clever name, I think. Anywho, when I started working there as a lowly prep cook the menu of that time had been in service for about a decade. The LRG has been open for twenty years! I know you might be saying right now, "What?! Twenty years?! That is a crazy long time for an Athens restaurant!" Yes, 20 Years! The owners of LRG decided it was time for an update. So over the "Winter Holidays" the restaurant closed for a few days to come up with the new menu. And as of the 2nd of January 2012, LRG has been serving up a new menu for lunch, brunch and dinner. So far I have only tried a few of the new items, of those they all have been quite tasty. The most exciting part about getting a new menu for me is the fact that now everyone is on the same page. When you start out in a new restaurant as a cook you feel behind from the very beginning. This feeling is due largely in part to how one compares themselves to the other cooks around them. I felt significantly behind at LRG because many of the cooks there have been employed by the LRG for up to 12 years! So they have been making this items for sooooo long that it is rather hard to compete with their speed and memorization of the recipes and techniques used to prep and cook the menu items. But now that there is a new menu that nobody really knows much about, we have all been placed on the same page to progress together. So no more ketchup for me! o.0

On different note, here are a few things that I'm likin' right now:
The fact that I don't have to go back to school on monday! whoa whooo!
Wild Cat by Ratatat
Counter Culture Coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment